How To Claim For Domestic Violence

If you are looking to claim for domestic violence, this guide will provide information that could be useful to you. We will look at the eligibility criteria to claim through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). The CICA can award compensation to those who have suffered as a result of crimes of violence in England, Scotland, or Wales. 

claim for domestic violence

How To Claim For Domestic Violence

In addition, we will look at key information about the claims process. For example, we will touch on the CICA claims time limit and the evidence that you might need to provide when claiming. 

Moreover, we will examine how much you could receive in the event of a successful claim. Finally, we will look at the advantages of working with a No Win No Fee solicitor. 

Our advisors are also on call at any point to answer questions you may have. To get in touch for free advice: 

Choose A Section 

When Are You Able To Claim For Domestic Violence?

The CICA is an executive agency that receives government funding and that can compensate those who have been harmed by violent crime. In order to claim through the CICA, you must meet their eligibility criteria. This includes: 

  • Being a victim of a crime of violence. The CICA have a definition of a crime of violence in the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012
  • Reporting the incident to the police. If the incident was not reported, you can’t make a claim for domestic violence through the CICA.
  • The incident took place in England, Scotland, Wales or another place that is deemed relevant according to the CICA.
  • You begin your claim within the allotted time limit which will be explored in more detail later in this guide. 

If you would like to find out whether you can seek violent crime compensation, please speak with an advisor from our team.

Is There A CICA Claim Time Limit?

There is generally a two-year time limit that applies to beginning CICA claims. This generally runs from when you reported the incident to the police. This is expected to be done straight away unless you have exceptional circumstances that prevented you from doing so. 

Furthermore, a claim should generally be made within 2 years of the report to the police. Similarly, however, if there are exceptional circumstances that prevented a claim from being made within this time, the CICA might be able to consider a claim made outside this time limit.

How To Claim For Domestic Violence

When making a claim for domestic violence, you could gather evidence to make your case more robust. Firstly, you must provide the police reference number that you will receive when reporting the incident, as well as evidence that you meet the residency requirements. 

Moreover, you may be asked to provide:

  • Medical evidence of any physical and/or mental injuries that are sustained.
  • Proof of any financial losses that are incurred via a receipt, invoice, pay slip or bank statement.

The CICA will communicate with the police for confirmation on certain factors, such as whether you have cooperated with their investigations or whether you have any criminal convictions that are unspent and, therefore, could impact your claim.

If you have any questions as to how to make a domestic violence claim, please get in touch with an advisor from our team. 

How Could You Be Affected By Domestic Violence?

Below, we have included examples of some of the injuries that you might experience if you are a victim of domestic violence: 

If you’d like to see whether you could claim for domestic violence through the CICA, speak with a member of our team today. You could be connected with a lawyer from our panel if you do have a valid case. 

What Criminal Injuries Compensation Could You Receive?

If your claim for domestic violence is successful, the compensation you could be awarded may be split into two heads of claim. You will receive a payment for any physical or mental criminal injury that is sustained due to the abuse if your claim is a success. 

Your potential payment will be valued in line with the tariff established in the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012. If you are claiming for multiple injuries, they could be valued in the following ways: 

    • 100% of the tariff amount will be awarded for the injury with the highest value 
    • 30% for the injury with the second-highest or equal tariff value
    • 15% for the injury with the third-highest or equal tariff value

We have provided you with a table of compensation amounts from the CICA tariff in the table below.

Body PartSeverity Compensation Bracket
BrainVery serious £175,000
HandLoss of/Loss of function of £82,000
ArmParalysis/Function loss £44,000
EyeLoss £27,000
Ankle Significant £16,500
FingerLoss- partial £16,500
FaceLe Fort 2 & 3 £11,000
HipSubstantial recovery £6,200
SkullSimple £3,500
NeckSignificant £1,500

Claiming Special Expenses Due To Spousal Abuse

You may also be awarded compensation for special expenses if you incur any specific financial losses as a result of the incident. This could apply to losses such as: 

  • Loss of earnings 
  • Care costs 
  • Medical expenses 
  • Home adaptations 
  • Any equipment that you rely on as a physical aid, such as a walking stick or a hearing aid, that was broken in the incident 

Our advisors can offer you a more personalised estimation as to how much compensation you could be awarded if you get in touch. Furthermore, they may be able to connect you with a No Win No Fee lawyer from our panel. 

Make A Domestic Violence Claim Using Our Panel Of No Win No Fee Solicitors

Many claimants find it useful to hire a solicitor who works on a No Win No Fee basis. This negates any payments upfront or throughout the duration of your claim. Furthermore, they could offer their services via a  Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA)

A CFA is a type of No Win No Fee agreement; it means if your claim isn’t a success and you’re not awarded compensation, you will not have to pay for the services your solicitor provides. If your claim is successful, you will have to pay your solicitor a success fee which will be deducted from your payout. This is capped by law, which ensures you take home the majority of your payout.

As previously stated, our advisors are on call around the clock to offer you free legal advice. If you would like to know whether you qualify to be represented by a No Win No Fee solicitor, you can get in touch by:  

Learn More About Making A Claim For Domestic Violence

Here are some more of our own guides that could help you when seeking violent crime compensation:

In addition, we have included documents that could be of use to you with regard to spousal abuse:

Thank you for reading this guide on how to claim for domestic violence. If you have any questions that still need answering, please get in touch with an advisor from our team.

Article by Pas

Edited by Sto