How To Sue For A Slip or Trip Accident – A Guide To Claiming Compensation

How To Sue For An Injury Caused By A Slip, Trip Or A Fall

Welcome to our guide on how to sue for a slip or trip accident. Have you been injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We’re here to help you understand personal injury claims. 

sue for a slip trip accident

We understand how devastating the consequences of a slip, trip or fall can be, especially at the hands of someone else’s negligence. However, you could get the compensation you deserve by making a personal injury claim. 

We’ve tried to cover as much information as possible in our guide. But if you have any questions after reading, our advisors can offer you free legal advice and are available 24/7. You’ll also be under no obligation to proceed with our services after discussing your potential case. 

For more information on how you could sue for slip and fall injury, call us on 0800 408 7827. Otherwise, please continue reading about when you might have a valid claim and where to start. 

About Suing For A Slip or Trip Accident

  1. A Guide On How To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident
  2. What Is A Lawsuit For A Slip Or Trip Accident?
  3. What Could I Claim For After A Slip, Trip Or A Fall?
  4. Who Could I Sue For Injuries Caused By A Slip Or Trip Accident?
  5. What Evidence Do I Need To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident?
  6. Does A Doctor Need To Assess My Injury Before I Can Sue?
  7. Work Out How Much You Could Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident
  8. Accepting A Settlement Offer
  9. Do I Need A Solicitor To Sue For An Injury?
  10. How To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident With A No Win No Fee Solicitor
  11. Ask Our Team About How To Sue For An Accident Or Injury
  12. Get Free Legal Advice
  13. FAQs On How To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident
  14. Resources

A Guide On How to Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident

Did you slip on a neglected spill in a supermarket? Or maybe you tripped over improperly stored away equipment at work? No matter the cause or the place, suffering from a slip, trip or fall can have serious consequences. 

Our guide will take a detailed look at common questions regarding a slip injury claim, such as:

  • Can I sue for a slip and fall accident?
  • How much compensation will I get for a slip and fall?
  • Can I sue for a work-related injury?
  • How can I sue a store for an injury?
  • What are the benefits of claiming with a No Win No Fee solicitor?
  • How can I sue a company?

We understand that you may not have had your accident yesterday or the day before. Perhaps your accident occurred a while ago, and you’ve only just found the time to claim. However, depending on your specific situation, you could only have had three years to claim. For most cases, the three-year time limit starts from the date the accident happened. However, there are exceptions.

For more information, you can get in touch with a member of our team to see how much time you have left to make a claim. They could also help you understand the process of suing someone. Alternatively, see below. 

What Is A Lawsuit For A Slip Or Trip Accident?

Pursuing a lawsuit against someone for a slip or trip accident would indicate you believe they’ve acted negligently and caused you harm. 

A slip, trip or fall could happen anywhere, such as at work or in a public place. For example, 29% of non-fatal injuries to employees were caused by slips, trips, and falls on the same level in 2019/20. (This is based on employer reports through RIDDOR.) Therefore, slips, trips and falls on the same level were the most common non-fatal accident kind in 2019/20. 

An additional 8% of workplace accidents were falls from height. Falls from height also caused 29 of the 111 fatalities recorded by employers in 2019/20

These figures relate specifically to workplace accidents. However, they do highlight that slips and trips aren’t an uncommon accident type. 

If you’ve suffered from one of these accidents, the first thing to do is seek medical attention and, if possible, report it. There are different methods of reporting available. For example, if it happened at work, you should report it in the accident book and to an appropriate staff member. If the accident happened in a public place, you should report it to the occupier. 

After it’s been reported, you could seek legal advice. Our advisors could connect you to an experienced personal injury solicitor from our panel who can guide you through the rest of the process. 

For more information on how to sue for a slip or trip accident and the type of compensation you could claim, see below. 

What Could I Claim For After A Slip, Trip Or A Fall?

The injuries caused by a slip, trip or fall can vary. However, some common injuries might include fractures, head injuries, open cuts and dislocations. To put it into perspective, between 2014/15 and 2019/20 RIDDOR recorded the following non-fatal injuries to employees in Great Britain: 

  • 18,535 fractures
  • 18,371 sprains and strains
  • 6,375 lacerations and open wounds
  • 1,112 dislocations

Although the exact cause of these injuries is not clear, these figures highlight some of the injuries you could have suffered after a fall. 

If you’ve found yourself with one of these injuries or another injury, you could claim compensation comprising of special and general damages. General damages compensate you for your physical and emotional damage as well as the injuries’ impact on your quality of life. In contrast, special damages compensate for any financial losses you’ve suffered, whether past and future. 

There is an option to work out your compensation package using a personal injury calculator. However, they aren’t always reliable. Instead, our compensation table further down can give you an idea of compensation for various injury types. 

Who Could I Sue For Injuries Caused By A Slip Or Trip Accident?

Accidents can happen at various times; it’s part of life. However, accidents that could have been prevented can be frustrating. No matter where you are, you have a right to have your health and safety taken seriously.

An employer or the occupier (controller) of a public place has a duty to protect your safety in certain circumstances. If someone has neglected to take their duty of care seriously, you could sue. For example, you could sue if you’re injured because:

  • An employer fails to provide you with the relevant equipment or training to do your job safely.
  • The local council doesn’t act on risk assessment findings of a paving defect in a reasonable amount of time and you trip. 
  • A shop owner leaves stock out where someone can trip over.

As you can see, duty of care can depend on where you have the accident. Generally, the duty of care of employers and occupiers is to do everything reasonably possible to prevent you from coming to harm. 

The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 sets out standards for employers. Whilst the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 gives standards of health and safety practice for those in control of a public place. 

Overall, anyone who caused you to suffer an injury could be negligent, and you could sue for a slip trip accident. Call our advisors to find out if you have a claim. 

What Evidence Do I Need To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident?

Evidence for an accident is important in a personal injury claim. You’d need to prove the accident caused your injuries and the financial losses you suffered as a consequence of the injuries. Different types of evidence that could be useful include:

  • Witness statements
  • Pictures of the accident scene 
  • Pictures of the injury
  • CCTV footage 
  • Police reports
  • Reports in the accident workbook
  • A written report of the incident after it happened

Evidence to prove your financial losses could include:

  • Receipts
  • Payslips
  • Invoices 
  • Bills

No matter the severity of the injury, you need evidence because without it, it can be difficult to claim back any money lost and be compensated for the suffering inflicted.

For more information on the evidence you’d need to prove your injuries were caused by the accident, see below. 

Does A Doctor Need To Assess My Injury Before I Can Sue?

If you’ve suffered a significant injury, you should seek medical advice regardless of whether you want to make a trip or fall claim. A doctor can assess the severity of the injury and treat it before it leads to any potential complications. Additionally, the medical reports can be helpful in a personal injury claim. 

Although pictures of the injuries and the accident can prove both happened, medical documents help assess how the injuries happened. 

We also recommend an independent medical assessment in addition to the medical documents already provided by your doctor. The reason being, it can provide an additional unbiased medical opinion of the cause of the injuries. The report the assessor produces can also act as a basis for your solicitor (if you choose to use one) to value your injuries. 

See our table below to see the varying degrees of severity of an injury and how the compensation aligns.

Work Out How Much You Could Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident

Perhaps you’re wondering, ‘How much is pain and suffering worth in a slip and fall?’ If so, our compensation table below gives examples of injuries you could have suffered after a slip, trip or fall. It includes varying severities and compensation figures based on the Judicial College Guidelines. (This is a regularly updated publication that solicitors may use to value injuries.)

The figures are for general damages only. Special damages would be worked out separately and added to make a total compensation award. 

The figures may also vary depending on the specific symptoms of your injury. These are purely a guide.

Injury SeverityAverage compensation amountComments
LegSimple fractures to tibia or fibula or soft tissue injuriesUp to £11,110The higher award here would be for injuries where there is some ongoing minor symptoms. This could include dull aching and some restriction of movement.
LegModerate£26,050 to £36,790Complicated or multiple fractures or severe crushing injuries, generally to a single limb.
ArmSimple fractures of the forearm£6,190 to £18,020Simple fractures of the forearm.
ArmInjuries resulting in permanent and substantial disablement£36,770 to £56,180Severe fractures of one or both forearms where there is substantial permanent disability.
ElbowMinor/moderateUp to £11,820Injuries include simple fractures, tennis elbow syndrome, and lacerations. they're injuries that don't cause permanent damage and don't result in permanent restriction of function.
ElbowA severely disabling Injury£36,770 to £51,460A severely disabling injury.
KneeSevere£65,440 to £90,290Severe knee injuries that cause disruption of the joint and serious damage to the ligaments. Healing results in lengthy treatment and some loss of function.
KneeModerate (ii)Up to £12,900Lacerations, twisting, or bruising injuries.
AnkleModestUp to £12,900The less serious, minor or undisplaced fractures, sprains, and ligamentous injuries.
AnkleModerate£12,900 to £24,950Fractures, ligamentous tears and others that give rise to less serious disabilities such as difficulty in walking on uneven ground. Future risks may include osteoarthritis.
FootSevere£39,390 to £65,710Fractures of both heels or feet with considerable restriction on mobility or significant and permanent pain. An example of such an injury is a drop foot deformity corrected by a brace.
FootModestUp to £12,900Simple metatarsal fractures, ruptured ligaments, puncture wounds and similar injuries.
Brain DamageVery severe£264,650 to £379,100There will be little or no evidence of a meaningful response to environment and little or no language function.
HeadMinor£2,070 to £11,980In these cases, brain damage will have been minimal.
HeadModerate (iii)£40,410 to £85,150Concentration and memory are impacted, ability to work is reduced and these is a limited dependence on others.
WristInjury resulting in significant permanent disability£22,990 to £36,770Though there is a permanent disability, some useful movement would remain.
WristAn uncomplicated Colles' fracture.In the region of £6,970An uncomplicated Colles' fracture.
Hip and PelvisSevere (i)£73,580 to £122,860Extensive fractures of the pelvis that could involve dislocation of a lower back joint or a hip injury requiring spinal fusion.
Hip and PelvisMinor soft tissue injuries with complete recoveryUp to £3,710Minor soft tissue injuries with complete recovery.

If your injury is not listed, our advisors could help. Whenever you’re ready to get in touch (night or day), our advisors are on-hand. They can give an expert estimation of the value of your claim and injury. 

Accepting A Settlement Offer

The settlement offer is the final offer you take from the liable party. However, it can sometimes take a while to get to this point. 

A solicitor could guide you through the whole process and communicate the offers between you and the defendant. However, they shouldn’t make decisions for you. They may advise when they think you should take an offer, but ultimately the decision should always come down to you. 

There are occasions when a defendant denies liability or can’t agree on a compensation figure. In this instance, your claim may be taken to court. However, your solicitor (if you choose to use one) would advise on the next steps to take from there and could represent you. Additionally, your solicitor and the defendant’s solicitor should always try to reach an agreement before going to court. 

See below for other benefits of having a personal injury solicitor when you sue for a slip or trip accident. 

Do I Need A Solicitor To Sue For An Injury?

Although it’s not a legal requirement to have a solicitor, it can be beneficial. By having a solicitor represent you, you can have support dealing with the complexities of the legal system. Additionally, if you claim against someone who has a solicitor, they might have the upper hand having an experienced advisor helping them. 

There are also financial benefits to having a solicitor. For example, many offer No Win No Fee services. They can also work for you from anywhere in the country, so you’re not limited in choice. 

Our panel of solicitors have years of experience and will be honest with you about the likelihood of your claim winning. We recommend choosing a solicitor you can trust.

How To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident With A No Win No Fee Solicitor

As mentioned above, there is an option to represent yourself. However, there are risks in doing so. Alternatively, you could choose a No Win No Fee solicitor. This means that if your solicitor doesn’t win the case, you won’t pay any solicitor fees. If they do win, you’ll pay a legally capped fee. However, you and your solicitor will set the fee together. 

Most importantly, it helps you avoid upfront solicitor fees and solicitor fees that incur over the claims process. That can be especially helpful if you have been put in a tricky financial situation. 

Our advisors can put you in touch with a solicitor. They can then give you free legal advice and answer any questions and can advise you on what to do if you choose to sue for a slip or trip accident.

Ask Our Team About How To Sue For An Accident Or Injury

Have you tried to figure out your compensation using a personal injury calculator and had problems getting an accurate estimate? If so, we can help. Our advisors can assist you by valuing your claim more accurately. 

However, they might need more information first as each case is so unique. For example, they might need to know:

  • How the accident happened
  • Where it happened
  • The severity of your injuries

Once they have these details, they can have a better understanding of your case as well as being able to provide a better idea of the compensation you could get. 

In addition to this, we can provide further clarification on the following:

  • No Win No Fee agreements
  • Your rights and duty of care 
  • Whom you can claim against 

For more information on how you can contact us, see below.

Get Free Legal Advice

We understand that we’ve covered a lot of information, so you may have questions. Making a claim can be overwhelming. However, the most important thing to remember is that we can help with your claim to sue for a slip or trip accident.

Contact us on the following:

  •   Telephone number: 0800 408 7827
  •   Live chat at the bottom of the page
  •   The enquiry form at the top of the page

FAQs On How To Sue For A Slip Or Trip Accident

How much compensation will I get for slip and fall?

Compensation amounts vary depending on the unique details of the cases, including the severity of the injury and the pain and suffering inflicted.

Can I sue for trips and falls? 

If you have reason to believe that someone else was responsible for your slip or trip accident, you could sue if you have enough evidence. 

What is a good settlement offer?

It can depend on your injury. However, you’re not entitled to take the first offer if you believe it’s unsuitable. A solicitor can also advise on when to take an offer.

How can I prove my pain and suffering?

Medical documents can highlight the pain and suffering you’ve experienced from an injury.


See the NHS website for medical advice for more information on injury symptoms from a slip, trip or fall. 

If you’re interested in health and safety in the workplace, visit the HSE website for more information.

ROSPA can provide you with advice on accident prevention guidance in various places. 

Was your accident a result of medical negligence? See our guide on how to sue the NHS for more information. 

Maybe your accident happened in a workplace. Our guide on how to sue your employer can provide specific information. 

For more information on how to sue your local council, read our guide. We can get back to you at a time that best suits you.

We hope you found our guide on how to sue for a slip or trip accident useful. Thank you for reading. 

Article by MIT

Edited by VIC